When serving this cake, It helpful to use a sharp, thin-bladed knife and to dip the knife into a pitcher of hot water and wipe the blade clean before making every cut.
Because this cake is very rich, Thin slice are in order :)
And this flourless chocolate cake requires a water bath to keep it from overcooking.
- 1 Pound Semisweet or Bittersweet Chocolate, Chopped coarse
- 16 Tbsp (2 Sticks) Unsalted Butter, Cut into 16 Pieces
- 1/4 Cup Strong Coffee
- 8 Large Eggs, Cold
- Confectioners' Sugar or Cocoa Powder (For dusting & serving)
- Raspberry & Mint Leaves (For serving, Optional)
1. Adjust an oven rack to the lower-middle position and heat the oven for 325 F. Lightly coat an 8-inch springform pan with vegetable oil spray, Then line the bottom with parchment paper. Wrap the outside of the pan with 2 sheets of heavy-duty foil and set in large roasting pan. Bring a kettle of water to a boil.
2. Heat the chocolate, butter, and coffee together in a large bowl in the microwave, whisking often until the mixture is melted and smooth about 1-3 minutes. Let cool slightly.
3. Whip the eggs in large bowl with an electric mixer on high speed until they double the volume, 5-10 minutes. Fold one-third of the whipped eggs into the chocolate mixture using a large rubber spatula until only a few streaks of eggs are visible. Repeat twice more with the remaining eggs, Then continue to fold until there are no streaks.
4. Scrape the batter into the prepared pan inside the roasting pan and smooth to the top. Set roasting pan on the oven rack and pour the boiling water into the roasting pan until it reaches about halfway up the sides of the cake pan. Bake until edges are just beginning to set, A thin glazed crust has formed on the surface and an instan-read thermometer inserted halfway into the center reads 140 F, 20-25 minutes.
5. Carefully remove the springform pan from the water bath and let cool completely on a wire rack, about 3 hours. Cover with plastic wrap and refrigerate overnight.
6. About 30 minutes before serving, Run a paring knife around the edge of the cake to loosen, Then remove the sides of the pan. Invert the cake on a parchment-lined plate and peel off the parchment on the bottom. Flip the cake upright onto a serving platter, Discard the second piece of parchment and let come to room temperature. Dust with confectioners' sugar before serving and add some raspberry and mint leaves if u desire.
*Recipe Courtesy of The America's Test Kitchen Family Cookbook pg.551-552
*Pictures Courtesy of Mysexykitchen